So i never did get around to making a plug for Linda Ronstadt for my severely lapsed Best Cover Artists Ever series. And now she quite sadly has Parkinson’s and can’t sing a note anymore. So a bit of a tribute is in order i think – she wasn’t a songwriter but a world class singer and cover artist who did very proud the bulk of artists she covered. Imagine, to sing like that with no autotune. You can hear maybe a bit too much 70’s California production in some of the songs, but that was also her era and the artists that she covered as well. They’re none the worse for it either, really. Peace and best wishes to you, Linda. And thank you.
1. Stone Poneys– Different Drum
2. Love Has No Pride – got me through an embarassingly tortured and emo adolesence.
3. Long Long Time – ditto. Maybe the best cry in your beer song ever.
4. Willin – Little Feat cover. Probably my favorite version of it too.
5. You Can Close Your Eyes – James Taylor cover. Equal to if not better than his.
6. Rock Me on the Water – Jackson Browne cover. ditto.
7. Tracks of My Tears – Smokey cover. Does it proud.
8. Walk Away Renee – Left Banke cover. There are better covers out there.
9. First Cut is the Deepest – Cat Stevens cover. Better than Sheryl Crow’s. Still like Rod’s better though. (now there’s a candidate for best cover artist.)
10. Alison – Elvis Costello cover. A fine one too.
11. I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton cover. Nice intermediary between Dolly’s lovely and delicate original, and Whitney’s foghorn.
12. Desperado – Eagles cover. Better than theirs.
13. Poor Poor Pitiful Me – Warren Zevon cover. Great cover.
14. Tumbling Dice – Stones cover. Does them proud.