In addition to the Soundcloud playlist above, this week we have an exclusive link to Little India‘s new EP “Neon Jungle“, released on 25 November. https://soundcloud.com/littleindiaband/sets/neon-jungle
Little India are Conan Karpinski (lead vocals, guitar), Andrew Dixon (bass, vocals), Dallyn Hunt (drums) and Tim Morrison (guitar, vocals). Their success unfolded after coming together to play music just three years ago. Their influences are credited to the combination of their South African and Canadian heritages with a strong British influence. Jon Siddall (CBC Music) explains their music as “The Cure meets Talking Heads.” Their success has been driven by their debut EP, Up All Night, resulting in winning both Vancouver’s ‘The Shore 104.3 FM’s Best of BC’ and ‘CFOX’s Seeds Competition’ in 2014, as well as ascending into the top 12 of the 2015 “Peak Performance Project” hosted by The Peak 102.7. The band has reached over three million total streams on Spotify, performed at numerous festivals including Squamish Fest, Canadian Music Week, Rifflandia, and Keloha, and performed as the support act for established bands like Kodaline and Cold War Kids across Canada’s most prestigious venues. Their song ‘Sleep’ has been spun on U.K.’s BBC and BC’s The Zone and The Fox, while ‘Oola’ has received over 50,432 streams on SoundCloud, followed with a music video released on July 21st, 2015.
You can read about today’s other featured artists below. I hope you enjoy this week’s new music, please mention any new sounds you’d like to share in the comments.
1. Chyomin – Growin’ – I featured Chicago-based psychedelic blues band Chyomin (www.chyomin.com) back on October 30th, but the song I pulled from Youtube was just a demo. This Soundcloud link is the actual new song from the upcoming LP “Rambler”, and is much better sound quality. They have built a strong organic fan base in Chicago and the Midwest and expect continued growth into the future. In fact, this summer Chyomin has charted in the top 13 rockabilly/blues in Chicago; charted in the top 30 rockabilly/blues regionally and played over 30 shows in Chicago over the last year. You can also check them out on Facebook.
2. Delafaye – Dreamers – This is the first single to be taken from Delafaye’s (Andrew Shockley) forthcoming debut EP “The Hilltop”, to be released on December 2nd. “Dreamers is a song about insecurities and how life plays on those, how hard it is to work a job that you don’t like every single day when you feel like you were meant for much more, I think everyone can relate to that”. Written, recorded and produced in Louisville, Kentucky.
3. Autumn Chorus – Snake in the Grass – multi-instrumentalist Robbie Lloyd Wilson was diagnosed with stomach cancer in late 2013. The resulting treatment meant that Autumn Chorus’ second album was put on hold and the band, at least as a collective of friends and musicians, was essentially disbanded. “Snake in the Grass” is the first track to emerge from subsequent solo sessions, “a stunning piece of orchestral folk rich with emotion and lyrical light. Inspired by the likes of Simon & Garfunkel, The Everly Brothers and Buffalo Springfield, it’s a transportive three and half minutes of masterful songwriting, classic production and moving lyrics.”
4. Junkyard Choir – Blue Moonshine Lady – new single from Brighton Blues-Rock duo comprising Mark Woods [guitar] and Tom Herbert [drums]. They say; “We’re just trying to make enough of a living out of rock’n’roll to be able to send our grandmother to Vegas before she becomes too weak to pull the levers on the slot machines! Can you help us get her there?!”
5. Aine Duffy & The Hypnotyst – Grit –Aine Duffy and Brodie Gee, a 2-piece electronic rock band from Cork, Ireland, released a new single on Friday. Their music is mastered by three times Grammy nominated Emily Lazar (The Prodigy, Sia, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Moby, David Bowie). “Flirting with dance, rock and funk with all the best parts. They combine genres and moods in an innovative way to create a new sound designed to get the dance floor rocking and concert venues partying.” Debut album due out in 2017 and currently touring in Ireland.
6. Abel – The Sideline –Abel is an artist/producer based in London, who has been making music for the past couple of years and collaborating with a few other artists. “I express myself and emotions through my music. My music is a pure reflection of who I am, and my life experiences. (This is) ‘The Sideline‘, which I have also produced and written.”
7. Twin Wave – Roll With It – Brooklyn based dream-pop band, with Nick Williams as the lead singer. He says: “The track was produced by Tommy Eichmann (Alex Winston, The Knocks) at Mission Sound in Brooklyn – Our last single ‘Matador’ has gotten over 280K streams on Spotify and hit the global and U.S. Viral top 50, so hoping to keep up the momentum with this one. Anyway thanks so much for checking it out!” In his spare time Nick is also an associate editor at Billboard, no less!
8. Benjamin Chapman – Kelly – Benjamin Chapman is an up and coming artist. Born and raised in Burundi and adopted by an English missionary when he was just a few days old, he left Burundi in 2010 to come to the UK for further education. However music was always his main passion growing up, so instead of Economics he decided to follow this and got a BA in commercial music this summer from the University of Westminster. His new single “Kelly” is a fun afrobeat/pop track that was created “to really bring joy out of people.”